According to Amartya Sen, one of our country’s major failure is its continuous backwardness in providing proper healthcare services to the people. India has one of the highest disease burdens in the world. A World Bank estimate in 2010 suggested that India loses 6 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP) annually because of premature deaths and preventable illnesses. One of the major reasons for poverty-stricken people not opting for medical treatments is its high cost. This leads to further delay and aggravation of health problems.
The major causes of poor health conditions among the people of India are as follows.
- Rapid Growth of Population and High Birth Rates-One of the main reasons for increased health risks among the people is the high fertility rates. When a large number of people stay in poor, unhygienic conditions, diseases spread very easily. The huge population of India is one of the reasons for poor health standards among the people.
- Malnutrition-Malnutrition is another cause that contributes to spreading diseases. It affects the children the most and threatens their lives. Malnutrition reduces the acquired immunity and it weakens the body, thus making it incapable to fight against diseases.
- Poverty and Illiteracy-Poverty and illiteracy are like both sides of the same coin. People suffer from poor health conditions because they cannot afford to bear the costs of health services. The less privileged section of the society is not educated enough and hence are unaware of the importance of maintaining proper hygiene and sanitation in their daily lives. This also results in the spread of more number of diseases.
Thus the limited access to healthcare services results in higher death rates in the society. There are many ways one can solve the above-mentioned problems. You can go through the following points to get a brief idea about the ways one can overcome the problems.
- Medical treatments and healthcare services should be made less costly so that everyone can afford proper medical facilities.
- Awareness about the advantages of maintaining proper health and hygiene must be spread among the uneducated section of the society.
- People should be educated about the benefits of family planning so that they can provide their child with proper nutrition.
Health is wealth. Thus, one of the major aims of our organization is to provide free healthcare services and medical facilities to the people who need it, in order to make this society a healthier and happier place to live in.