Unemployment is defined as a state of joblessness for a man who is both fit and willing to work. In other words, it can be said that it is a state of involuntary idleness. One of the major problems that India continues facing even today is unemployment. There are many deep-rooted problems in our society that results in unemployment of a large number of people. The two main causes of unemployment in our country are as follows;
- Illiteracy- Unemployment is closely related to illiteracy. One of the major reasons why so many people in our country still remain unemployed is lack of proper educational facilities among the masses. Only a certain section of people in the society have access to educational facilities.
- Increasing population-Another important reason for unemployment is the increasing population of our country. The employment opportunities are much less as compared to the huge population of our country. Lack of development in the industrial and agricultural sector also results in unemployment.
Now it is very obvious that if there is a problem, there has to be a solution. We can overcome unemployment and the problems related to it in the following ways;
- Spread Education- One of the most important and efficient ways of overcoming unemployment is spreading education among the less privileged section of the society. Steps should be taken to make education available to everyone so that they can enjoy the basic necessities of life.
- Family Planning-As mentioned earlier one of the major reasons for unemployment in our country is the growing population. We can efficiently overcome this problem by keeping the population growth in check. This can be done by family planning. Awareness about the benefits of family planning must be spread among the people especially the people living in the rural areas.
- Establishment of Technical and Vocational Training Institutes-Technical and vocational training institutes must be opened. More stress must be given to practical training in order to make the less privileged section of the society able enough to lead a happy and healthy life.
- Modernization of Agriculture-India is an agro-based country. Agriculture must be modernized and mechanized to provide employment to people. Basic practical training regarding the modern techniques of agriculture must be given to people.
- Increased Investment in Heavy Industries-Investment in heavy basic industries must be increased to provide employment to more people.
One of the major problem that both the urban and rural areas in India are facing is unemployment. It continues to hinder the progress and development of our country. Therefore, more attention should be given to providing greater work opportunities to people because the final solution of unemployment is work.